In 2015, I posted my resolutions/goals/whatever you want to call them. It's not a popular post by any means, but I'm fond of it. I found myself re-reading the post every few months throughout 2015 to reflect on where I'm at and if those goals were still part of my path. So even though I'm terribly late this year, I'd like to continue on with my 2016 focus - the goals and thoughts I have about this new year.
Obviously this year started fantastically for me. I kept joking with friends that my New Year's Resolution would be "Be More Married", and I already achieved that (I got married on January 1st) so I was done for the year. Cross that off my list and get back to my life! Yeah, I wish.
All kidding aside, I've done ample reflecting on 2015 and there are a few goals I'd like to bring into focus for 2016. I wrote a little blurb on Facebook about my 2015 reflections, so I won't write about that too much here. In short, 2015 was very introspective, and I'd like 2016 to be a little more proactive and connected.
Concrete Focal Points
Invest in a photography course/class
- I've had my DSLR for half a year and I know I could use improvement. I've managed to learn quite a bit on my own, but I enjoy this hobby enough to invest in a class that will help me take things to the next level. Mainly, I want to learn to master light and styling.
Read at least 15 books
- Personal quest. Oddly enough, this goal will help me "get out" more too...I don't often buy books anymore due to lack of space, so I have to go to the library in order to complete this goal. I know, that sounds tiny, but for this introvert it's gargantuan.
Write more - not just recipes
- I enjoy writing! But like many things, it's a muscle - you have to use it to maintain and improve. I've never wanted this blog to be just food. I want me to be on here too.
Spend more time connecting and interacting
- 2015 was so introspective that I neglected friendships and the seeds of potential friendships. I spend so much time alone and soul-searching (which was awesome) that social ties started wearing thin. In 2016 I want to try and weave stronger ties. More social, less media - right? This is probably going to be the biggest struggle for me...cue the social anxiety!
And Now For the CrossFit Goals
Last year I set very concrete CrossFit goals, and it was monumental for me. Reaching the goals I set made my PRs that much more satisfying. Notably, I didn't hit my back squat goal in 2015 (missed it by 5#), but setting the goal caused me to actively work to improve my squat. And I did PR, just not as much as I hoped to.
- 1 strict pull-up
- Master double unders (you know, be able to consistently string them together instead of spending the WOD whipping myself until I bleed)
- String together toes to bar
- 230# back squat
- 140# snatch
- 165# clean & jerk
What about you?
Do you set goals or "refocus" each year? If so, what's your 2016 focus?
Just a thought - audio books and digital ebooks can be checked out from my local library for no fee from my computer at home. They don't have everything, and I still make plenty of use of my Audible.com account - where as a member I often take advantage of special sales and the daily deal, thereby getting books for under $5. Much of what I do is pretty repetitive and unless I'm purposefully doing it as a mediation practice, I really enjoy listening to audio books. That way I get through two or three a week!
Congrats on your marriage and the developing photography skills too!
That's a great suggestion! I'm not a huge fan of audio books, but my local library does offer e-books. I've already taken advantage of that service, but I need to break out my Kindle and take another look.