Using full-fat coconut milk and an egg, this cassava flour flatbread serves as a dairy free, yeast free, and gluten free naan.
Oftentimes I turn to cauliflower rice to round out my meals, but with my recent weeknight chicken curry recipe I was craving something else. Enter a quick paleo flatbread!
I have the feeling you'll love the pairing. So start this flatbread recipe and let it rest while you make the curry. Dinner will be ready in no time!
How to make yeast-free naan flatbread
Because of my autoimmune disease (HS), I try to avoid using yeast in my own kitchen. Although naan and other flatbreads typically use yeast, I wanted to make a yeast-free version so I didn't have to go out and buy a new ingredient.
Instead, I created this cassava flour flatbread from ingredients I already have on hand. Cassava flour, paleo baking powder, salt, olive oil, full-fat coconut milk, and an egg. Simple!
After combining everything together, you'll knead the flatbread with your hands for about 5 minutes — until it becomes smooth and elastic, like many bread doughs.
Then, let it rest for at least 10 minutes. This is a great time to prep the rest of your meal.
Separate the dough into about 8 equal pieces. Next, roll them out between two pieces of parchment paper so they're very thin.
Finally, cook them in a hot skillet, only about 90 seconds per side, until the flatbread has blackened in some spots.
After taking each flatbread out of the skillet, I brushed each one with a mixture of ghee, minced garlic, and parsley. SO good!
What do you eat with flatbread?
As mentioned earlier, curry is the first thing that comes to mind! But there's much, much more you can do with flatbread if you end up with leftovers.
Here are some ideas for what to eat with flatbread:
- Use as a base for flatbread pizza
- Make a flatbread sandwich/wrap
- With unseasoned flatbread, spread with nut butter and chia seed jam/honey — roll up for a quick snack!
More gluten free recipes to try
Did you make this recipe? Let me know how it went! Leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram.Print
Quick and easy yeast free cassava flour flatbread that's gluten free, grain free, and paleo-friendly! With just a handful of ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Create a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Add the olive oil, coconut milk, and egg. Mix everything together until it forms a ball. Place the ball on the counter and knead until very smooth and elastic - at least 5 minutes - adding more flour as necessary.
- Let the dough rest for at least 10 minutes. Divide into 8-10 equal pieces.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Roll one piece of dough until very thin (less than ⅛” thick). One at a time, cook the naan for about 90 seconds, until parts are blackening, on each side. Once done, you can brush them with ghee and herbs if you’d like.
Keywords: flatbread, gluten free, yeast free, cassava flour, paleo, dairy free