Simple and easy, this red onion, bacon, and spinach salad makes a perfect summer accompaniament to any meal! I macerate the red onions to lessen their bite — if you've never done it before, give it a try!
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons reserved bacon drippings
- 2 cups fresh spinach (6 ounces spinach)
- Put the sliced red onions in a jar and add apple cider vinegar. Set aside for at least 15 minutes to let the onions macerate.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Chop the bacon into 1-inch pieces and add to the skillet, stirring for 8 minutes or until the pieces are browned and cooked through. Use a slotted spoon to remove the pieces from the skillet to a plate and set aside. Reduce heat to low. Discard all but 3 tablespoons of bacon fat.
- Add the onion and apple cider vinegar mixture to the skillet, stirring briefly to combine. Remove from heat.
- Add the spinach to a large bowl, then pour in dressing and onions. Toss to combine and serve immediately.
Keywords: bacon red onion spinach salad, spinach salad