Every Midwest family has their own take, but my version is a can-free tater tot casserole that’s dairy free and gluten free!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 tablespoons ghee or butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups crimini mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme OR 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage OR 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup cassava flour
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 2 1/2 cups bone broth or chicken broth
- 1 bag frozen peas
- 1 bag frozen green beans
- 1 bag frozen corn (optional)
- 2 bags frozen tater tots
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven or saucepot over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and brown, breaking into small pieces with a spatula. Transfer the cooked beef to a plate and set aside.
- In the same dutch oven, add 1 tablespoon of ghee. Add the onions, mushrooms, thyme, sage, and garlic. Cook for 6 to 10 minutes, until the onions are transparent and the mushrooms have softened. Add the salt and pepper and stir.
- Add the remaining 3 tablespoons ghee. Once the ghee has melted, add the cassava flour and stir until the vegetables are coated and no dry flour remains. While stirring, add the red wine vinegar and scrape up any bits on the bottom of the pan. Slowly pour in the beef broth and coconut milk. Once the mixture has thickened into a gravy, add the reserved ground beef. Add the frozen peas, green beans, and corn (if using), stirring to incorporate.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan and spread evenly with a spatula. Top with an even layer of frozen tater tots.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To keep this paleo, pay close attention to the ingredients list on the tater tots. Some brands are made with seed oils.
Keywords: gluten free, paleo, tater tot casserole