Easy, cozy, and comforting make a soup recipe a mainstay, and this Chicken Cabbage Soup with Apples checks all the boxes!
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb, fronds and core removed, then thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups very thinly sliced green cabbage
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cups thinly sliced granny smith apples (about 2 apples)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add caraway seeds, cooking for 2 minutes while stirring constantly until toasted and fragrant. Transfer to a spice grinder or mortar and pestle and process until ground.
- Heat olive oil in the same Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, fennel, celery, and garlic. Cook for 6 minutes, until veggies have softened and the garlic is fragrant. Add the ground spices and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth, cabbage, shredded chicken, apples, cider vinegar, ground caraway, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 3-5 minutes, until cabbage and apples have softened. Serve immediately.
Keywords: chicken cabbage soup, soup recipes, gluten free, low carb, keto, whole30