Cold weather calls for hearty, cozy meals and a creamy ham and potato soup fits the bill perfectly. Feel free to sub out the cauliflower and add 2 additional potatoes, or add more cauliflower and reduce by 2 potatoes.
- 3 tablespoons ghee or butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 10 ounce bag frozen cauliflower florets
- 4 large potatoes, diced
- 6 cups bone broth or chicken broth
- 2 cups leftover ham
- Melt ghee in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrot, sauteing for 5 minutes or until soft. Add salt, pepper, thyme, sage and bay leaf, cooking for another 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the diced potatoes, cauliflower, and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the potatoes and cauliflower are fork tender.
- Use a soup ladle to transfer the cauliflower, some of the potatoes, and some of the broth to a heat-safe blender (like a Vitamix). Blend until smooth, then return back to the pot. Alternatively, use an immersion blender to partially blend the mixture in the pot (although you’ll end up with portions of cauliflower in the soup this way).
- Add the ham to the soup and simmer for another 5 minutes to heat through. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve warm.
Keywords: dairy free, gluten free, paleo, whole30, ham and potato soup, ham soup