Luscious and hearty, these dairy free scalloped potatoes make an awesome paleo and Whole30 side dish with just a little prep!
- 4 tablespoons ghee, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup cassava flour
- 1 cup bone broth or stock
- 2 cups almond milk or coconut milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, sliced into 1/8-inch rounds
- chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 inch casserole dish or large cast iron with 1 tablespoon ghee.
- Melt remaining 3 tablespoons ghee in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onion, sauteing for 4-5 minutes until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and saute for an additional 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Stir in the cassava flour until the onion and garlic are coated, cooking for at least 1 minute. Slowly pour in the bone broth or stock, whisking constantly. Add the almond milk, salt, pepper, thyme, and nutritional yeast, whisking until combined. Continue cooking for 1-2 minutes until the sauce begins to simmer (but doesn’t boil) around the edges of the pan and thickens. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Arrange half of the sliced potatoes in an even layer on the bottom of the casserole dish. Top evenly with half of the cream sauce. Repeat with the remaining potatoes and cream sauce.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for another 25-30 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked through and slightly browned on top.
Keywords: Dairy Free Scalloped Potatoes