Homemade paleo vanilla bean ice cream and sparkling water make an amazing pair in these Fruity Dairy Free Ice Cream Floats!
For the Vanilla Bean Ice Cream:
- 2 teaspoons powdered gelatin
- 2 cans coconut milk, divided
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup or raw honey
- 1 vanilla bean (or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
For the Floats:
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a small bowl. Set it aside to let it bloom while you prepare the remaining ingredients. Carefully slice a vanilla bean lengthwise and use the back of the knife to scrape the beans out.
- Add half the coconut milk and the scraped vanilla bean pod to a medium saucepan and bring it just to a boil. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks and maple syrup. Slowly pour heated milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly to prevent the eggs from seizing. Once it’s fully mixed, pour it back into the saucepan and cook for about 4 minutes or until the mixture thickens to a consistency of heavy cream, stirring the whole time.
- Remove the custard from heat and whisk in the bloomed gelatin until melted. Finally, whisk in the vanilla beans and the remaining can of coconut milk. Cover and chill for at least an hour.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Once finished, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze for a few hours until scoopable.
- To make the floats, remove the ice cream from the freezer and let it sit out for about 10 minutes or until it’s scoopable. Add 1 large scoop of ice cream to a tall glass. Open the LaCroix or Spindrift and pour over the ice cream. Enjoy!
Keywords: Fruity Dairy Free Ice Cream Floats