These healthy grilled salmon burgers with pesto, inspired by a recipe in Burgers by Paul Gayler, intentionally have a short ingredients list for easy burgers with lots of flavor.
For the Dairy Free Pesto:
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the Salmon Burgers:
- Add basil leaves, pine nuts, and garlic to a food processor and process until very finely minced.
- With the food processor running, slowly drizzle in the oil and process until smooth.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.
Salmon Burger Instructions:
- Cut the raw salmon into 1/4 inch chunks. Add 1/4 of the salmon, egg white, shallot, salt, and pepper to a food processor and pulse until a paste is formed.
- Combine the paste, chopped salmon, pesto, and almond flour in a bowl, mixing well.
- Form into 4-6 patties. The patties will fall apart fairly easily until they're cooked, so handle with care! Chill the patties in the fridge for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- TO PAN-FRY: When ready to cook, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot and shimmering, add the salmon patties. Cook on each side for 4-5 minutes, flipping gently in between.
- TO GRILL: Preheat a grill to medium-high heat (about 400 degrees F). Just before cooking the salmon burgers, oil the grill VERY well. This is key to prevent sticking! Add the burgers and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, flipping just once.
- Serve immediately on buns or inside lettuce cups, topped with additional pesto, tomato slices, and cucumber slices, as desired.
Keywords: Grilled salmon burgers, pesto salmon burgers, salmon burgers, gluten free salmon burgers