Fresh, vibrant Mediterranean Tomato & Cucumber Salad incorporates so many summer flavors! Macerating the red onions at the beginning cuts down on their tear-inducing bite, but adds a slightly pickled flavor to the salad. Don't skip that step!
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 cucumbers (roughly 4 cups sliced)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 ounces feta cheese (optional)
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives (optional)
- Combine the sliced red onion and red wine vinegar in a jar. Set aside for 15 to 30 minutes to let the onions macerate and soften (the longer they sit, the softer and more flavorful they will be). Meanwhile, prep the rest of the vegetables by halving the cherry tomatoes and slicing the cucumbers thinly. After the onions have macerated, drain the vinegar into a separate bowl.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, oregano, and mint to a large bowl. In a separate, smaller bowl, add 1 tablespoon of the reserved vinegar. While stirring vigorously, add the extra virgin olive oil. Stir in salt and pepper, then taste. Add more of the reserved vinegar if desired. Pour the dressing over the tomato and cucumber mixture, then toss to coat.
- If using kalamata olives, add them and toss the salad. If using feta cheese, crumble it over the top of the salad just before serving.
Keywords: tomato cucumber salad