These little coffee sugar cookies are buttery and crisp! Whip up the coffee coconut butter frosting for frosted cookies or leave 'em naked — your choice. The coconut butter frosting does tend to make these a little less crispy due to the fat content in the coconut butter, but they're wonderful regardless!
For the Cookies:
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh finely ground coffee
- 1/2 cup ghee or coconut oil, solid
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
For the Frosting:
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and coffee.
- Add the ghee and coconut sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer. Cream together on medium speed until the mixture is light in color and relatively smooth. Reduce speed to low and add the egg and vanilla, beating until just combined. Finally, add the dry ingredients, beating until a thick cookie dough forms. Scrape the dough into single lump and chill for at least 1 hour to overnight.
- Once the dough has chilled, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place a separate large piece of parchment paper on a clean flat surface. Set the chilled dough on the parchment paper and cover with another piece of parchment paper. Gradually roll out the dough between the two sheets of parchment paper to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Use cookie cutters or a mason jar lid ring to cut out shapes from the cookie dough. Place cookie cutouts on the parchment-lined baking sheet, repeating until all the dough is used. Refrigerate the dough between batches as necessary — it’s much easier to work with when it’s cold!
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes or until they just start to turn light brown. Let the cookies rest for at least 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl until completely mixed. Add more almond milk as necessary until the frosting reaches a spreadable consistency.
- Once the cookies are completely cooled, decorate them or gobble them up!
Keywords: Coffee Sugar Cookies