For the Sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons matchstick carrots
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
For the Shrimp & Sweet Potato Cakes
- 2 cups shredded white sweet potato
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces shrimp, peeled, deveined, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- 1 teaspoon cassava flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Garnish: fresh mint and cilantro, minced
- Combine coconut aminos, lime juice, rice vinegar, carrots, garlic clove, and red pepper flakes, whisking until smooth. Set aside to let flavors meld while you prepare the shrimp & sweet potato cakes.
- Combine the grated sweet potato and salt in a bowl. Gently massage the sweet potato until the salt works its magic and the potato goes limp. Rinse and drain the sweet potato shreds, then squeeze out the excess moisture using a nut milk bag or paper towels.
- Add the sweet potato shreds, shrimp, and chopped shallots to a large bowl, stirring to combine. Stir in the arrowroot flour, cassava flour, black pepper, fish sauce, and egg. Shape the mixture into 8 individual potato cakes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 cakes to the pan and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crisp. Repeat with remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sweet potato cakes.
- Serve the cakes with sauce, cilantro, and mint.
Keywords: Shrimp and sweet potato cakes, sweet potato cakes, shrimp cakes, shrimp patties