- 1-2 Tb cooking fat (I typically use ghee)
- ½ lb ground sausage
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 10 eggs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat up a 10-12" cast iron skillet on medium-high heat. Add cooking fat. This is when I like to chop the veggies and beat the eggs with salt and pepper (and any other spices) in a medium-sized bowl. That way, it's all prepared as I'm making the frittata.
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften and brown. Add ground sausage, breaking it up as it browns and cooks through.
- Once sausage is browned, add mushrooms and spinach. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are slightly browned and spinach is wilted, about 2-4 minutes.
- Turn off burner, make sure everything in the pan is distributed fairly evenly, and pour beaten eggs into the pan. Immediately transfer to the preheated oven.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until eggs are completely cooked through (no longer runny).
*Cook time will vary based on the diameter of your cast iron pan. A smaller pan requires more cook time because the layer of eggs is thicker.
*Feel free to get creative and add your own spices! I like to spice up the sausage as it's cooking or sprinkle spices on top of the frittata right before it goes in the oven.