A simple stovetop jam and sunflower seed butter are best of friends in these SunButter and Jelly Bars! Also nut free, dairy free, and paleo-friendly.
For the Crust:
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons cassava flour
- 1/3 cup arrowroot flour
- 1.5 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
For the Filling:
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons gelatin
- 3 cups frozen strawberries or raspberries
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon SunButter
For the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, combine cassava flour, arrowroot flour, coconut sugar, and sea salt. Add the coconut oil and maple syrup, mixing until a ball of dough forms.
- Line a 9x9 baking dish with parchment paper. Transfer the dough to the baking dish and use your hands to press the dough into one even layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the center is dry to the touch and the edges are browned. Set aside to cool.
For the filling:
- Add lemon juice and water to a small, shallow bowl. Sprinkle gelatin overtop and set aside to let the gelatin bloom.
- Add the strawberries, coconut sugar, and cinnamon in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the strawberries are soft and mushy. If desired, use an immersion blender to blend the strawberry mixture until smooth. Otherwise, use a spatula to break up large pieces of fruit. Add the vanilla extract and bloomed gelatin mixture, stirring until the gelatin has completely dissolved into the jam. Cook for another minute, then remove from heat.
- Pour warm strawberry mixture over the crust and spread evenly. Drop dollops of SunButter into the jam, then use a knife to swirl the SunButter throughout the jam.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours so the filling can set. Cut into squares and serve. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
You can use whatever frozen berries you'd like for the jam. I made it with both raspberries and strawberries (raspberries won out as my favorite), but I'd love to try it with blueberries too!
Keywords: sunbutter, sunflower seed butter, nut free, sunbutter and jelly bars