Simple gluten free and paleo watermelon arugula salad with fresh herbs, slivered almonds, and a chili honey lime dressing. An easy salad recipe for summer!
For the Dressing
- 4 small dried red chiles (or 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes)
- 1/2 tablespoon raw honey (optional)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
For the Salad
- 4 cups cubed watermelon
- 2 cups arugula
- 1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, ribboned
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, roughly chopped
- Place the dried chiles in a shallow bowl and cover with hot water. Let soak for 10 minutes to reconstitute. Once chiles have soaked, discard the water. Slice each chili open and remove the seeds. Slice into thin strips.
- Add the red chile, honey, lime juice, and extra virgin olive oil in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl, add the cubed watermelon, arugula, basil, and mint. Drizzle with dressing and toss to combine. Garnish with almonds (they tend to sink to the bottom so I add them last). Best if served immediately.
I used fairly generic dried red chiles for this recipe. If you have your hands on some dried arbol chiles (also small and red), start with only one - those suckers are spicy!
Keywords: Watermelon Arugula Salad