Summery Whole30 and paleo Shrimp Gazpacho with Avocado Relish makes a fast, simple meal for the hottest days of the year!
For the Gazpacho:
- 1 pound plum tomatoes
- 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 garlic clove
For the Relish:
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, seeded, and cubed
First, prep the tomatoes. Bring a large pot of water to boiling. Cut an "X" on the bottom of each tomato, just deep enough to break the skin. Add the tomatoes to the boiling water for 15 seconds to blanch the tomatoes. Remove and immediately plunge into a bowl of ice water.
Next, prepare the shrimp. Add the shrimp to the same pot of boiling water that you blanched the tomatoes in. Boil the shrimp for 2 minutes or until pink and no longer translucent. Drain and rinse the shrimp under cold water. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Remove the tomatoes from the ice water and gently peel away the skin. After blanching, it should peel away quite easily. Add the tomatoes, cucumber, red bell pepper, cilantro, red onion, lemon juice, olive oil, red wine vinegar, hot sauce, and garlic to a blender. Blend on medium-high until the soup reaches your desired consistency. Stir in salt. Chill the gazpacho in the fridge for at least an hour before serving. The longer it sits, the longer the flavors get to mingle and create magic!
Just before serving, prepare the relish. Combine red bell pepper, cilantro, red onion, lemon juice, and avocado in a medium bowl.
Pour gazpacho into 4 separate bowls. Top each bowl with avocado relish and shrimp. Serve cold.
For the smoothest gazpacho, peel the cucumbers and red bell peppers, too.
Keywords: Whole30 Shrimp Gazpacho with Avocado Relish