Homemade apple butter is super simple - and with no added sugar! It makes a wonderful, simple gift during the holidays.
- 3 pounds apples (about 12 medium)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup water
- Core, peel, and chop the apples. Add the apples, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, lemon juice, and water to a large pot and stir to evenly distribute the spices. Cover and cook on medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon or potato masher, mash the apples as much as possible. Remove the lid and continue cooking for an additional hour, stirring every 15 minutes. If, after an hour, the apple butter isn’t as thick as you’d like, continue cooking for 15 minutes at a time, stirring every 5 minutes to prevent the apples from sticking and burning on the bottom.
- Puree the apple butter using an immersion blender, high-powered blender, or food processor.
- When cool, pour the apple butter into jars and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. Freeze for up to a month.
Do you need to peel the apples? Nope! I don't bother. It all gets blended up anyway - and most of the nutrition in an apple is in its peel!
Keywords: apple butter, stovetop, homemade, paleo, whole30