This is the best Greek salad recipe out there — in part because it's simple, and in part because it's got all the refreshing Greek flavors you crave.
With spring greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, pepperoncini, and kalamata olives, it's a dynamic mix of veggies and healthy fats that comes together easily with the lemon oregano vinaigrette.
Serve it with grilled chicken to make this a hearty and quick meal!
How to make a kickass salad
I've definitely tackled this topic before, but in case this if the first salad recipe you've hit up on this blog, it's worth repeating: Salads are one of my favorite meals.
This wasn't always the case; I used to see salads as sad, pathetic piles of vegetables.
But the secret to making truly kickass salads is that it's never been about the lettuce.
Unfortunately, too many people picture salads as ice berg lettuce with a couple slivers of red onion, a wedge or two of tomato, and, if you're lucky, a few shredded carrots. SAD.
Awesome salads have a plethora of different veggies and toppings, drizzled in a dressing meant to complement the whole thing.
That's exactly what makes this the best Greek salad. Sure, there are spring greens involved. But the majority of this salad is cucumber, tomato, red onion, pepperoncini, and kalamata olives. The greens just add bulk.
And that, to me, is what makes a salad epic. When the greens just become a base for the fun part, just like pizza crust is just a canvas for the real goodness.
Does this salad keep well?
Not really, but there are a couple ways around this.
Like many salads, if you fully prep it in advance, it'll end up soggy. If you intend to stretch this salad for multiple meals (say, lunches!), I'd recommend mixing together the cukes, tomatoes, red onion, kalamatas, and pepperoncini, but keeping the greens separate. Then mix and dress them once you're ready to eat.
Otherwise, you can build a mason jar salad.
This is how:
Pour in the dressing
Add diced grilled chicken (optional)
Add the pepperoncini, kalamatas, red onion, tomatoes, and cukes
Lastly, add the greens.
You can grab and go with mason jar salads, then simply shake to coat everything in the dressing and dump it out/eat it out of the jar.
How to make lemon oregano vinaigrette
If you've never made your own dressing before, trust me when I say this is pretty easy! You can't screw this up.
Just add the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, oregano, and parsley to a small jar. Whisk vigorously as you slowly pour in the olive oil to emulsify. And that's it! If the dressing separates after chilling out in the fridge, just whisk again before using.
I have a fresh oregano plant on the balcony this year, so I opted for fresh herbs here. It's hard to beat fresh, but if you'd rather go with dried herbs, sub 2 teaspoons dried oregano and ½ teaspoon dried parsley for this recipe.
Like this Greek Salad? Try these other epic salad recipes!
- Chopped Spinach Salad with SunButter Vinaigrette
- Kale, Apple, and Sweet Potato Salad
- Watermelon Arugula Salad with Chili Honey Lime Dressing
- Mediterranean Cauliflower Salad
- Thai Cabbage Salad with SunButter Dressing
Seriously the best Greek salad around. With lots of veggies, healthy fats, and a simple lemon oregano vinaigrette, this salad makes a refreshing lunch!
For the Greek Salad
- 3 cups spring lettuce mix
- 1 large cucumber, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 large vine tomato, chopped
- ⅓ cup sliced red onion
- ¼ cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- ¼ cup sliced pepperoncini
- 2 4-ounce chicken breasts (optional)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
For the Lemon Oregano Vinaigrette
- To make the lemon oregano vinaigrette, combine the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, oregano, and parsley in a small bowl or jar. While whisking vigorously, slowly pour in the olive oil until the mixture is emulsified. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- If serving with chicken, preheat a gas grill over medium-high heat. Pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness and season with salt and pepper. Brush with olive oil on each side and add to the grill. Cook for 4-6 minutes on each side, flipping only once. Remove to a plate and let rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- Divide the spring lettuce mix, sliced cucumber, chopped tomato, sliced red onion, pepperoncini, and kalamata olives between two bowls or plates. Add grilled chicken breast, if desired. Drizzle with lemon oregano vinaigrette and serve immediately.
For meal prep or mason jar salad instructions, see the blog post!
Keywords: Greek salad