Breakfast doesn't have to mean measly meals or sugary sweets. This low carb BLT Breakfast Bowl recipe is bursting with veggies and savory flavor!
With a kale base as our "lettuce," bacon, tomatoes, and soft-boiled eggs make easy toppings that'll keep you feeling full. This is one breakfast salad I wouldn't pass up!
What's in BLT Breakfast Bowls
Good news — if you know what's in a BLT, you're pretty much there!
This recipe uses
- kale (as our lettuce)
- soft-boiled eggs
- sesame seeds
And that's pretty much it! Those eggs and avocado add the breakfast flair we're after, and sesame seeds as a garnish adds a slight nutty flavor. Simple and tasty!
How to soft-boil eggs
The internet's full of different methods for soft-boiling and hard-boiling eggs, but my favorite method is the most traditional — simmering water.
The simmered water method is quick and relatively foolproof.
The BIGGEST tip I have is to not crank the heat up so the water is at a rolling boil — this will toss the eggs around and can result in cracks.
To soft-boil eggs:
— Bring water to a gentle simmer in a medium-large pot.
— Use a slotted spoon to gently lower the eggs into the water.
— Set a timer for 6 minutes.
— Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and let cool enough to peel.
Ways to customize these BLT Breakfast Bowls
If you truly, truly hate kale — first of all, I'm wondering why you kept reading this far — you can sub it for spinach, collard greens, or any other lettuce. But if you're using a crisp lettuce like romaine, don't cook it.
Taking the bacon or tomato out kind of defeats the point of a BLT bowl, but you can easily use grape tomatoes if that's what you've got on hand.
You can definitely also swap sausage links or patties for the bacon — but you'll have to call it an SLT. *wink*
More veggie-licious breakfast recipes
- Southwest Chorizo Breakfast Casserole
- Salmon Cake Eggs Benedict
- Bacon, Spinach, and Red Onion Salad
- No Cook Smoked Salmon Grazing Board
Did you try this recipe? I'd love to hear what you think! Comment below or tag me on Instagram.Print
BLT Breakfast Bowls (Low Carb)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
This straightforward BLT breakfast bowl makes a perfect, veggie-filled way to start the day. Skip the skimpy meals and sugary pastries for this bowl of morning fuel!
- 4 rashers thick-cut bacon
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1 large beefsteak tomato,sliced
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 4 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Prepare the bacon. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully add the bacon, cooking for 4-5 minutes on each side or until browned and crispy. Remove the skillet heat and use kitchen tongs to transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Once cool enough to handle, reserve 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat in the skillet and discard the rest.
- Sauté the kale. Add the reserved bacon fat to the skillet and return to medium-high heat. Add the kale and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until softened slightly. Remove from heat.
- Soft-boil the eggs. Bring about 3 quarts of water to a gentle simmer in a medium pot. Using a slotted spoon or strainer, gently lower the eggs into the water. Cook for 6 minutes, then remove the eggs with a slotted spoon. Let cool enough to handle, then peel the eggs.
- Assemble the bowls. Divide the kale between two bowls. Top each bowl with bacon, tomato slices, and sliced avocado. Gently slice the soft-boiled eggs in half and add to the bowls, yolk-side up. Garnish with black pepper and sesame seeds and serve.
Keywords: blt breakfast bowls, breakfast bowls, gluten free, low carb, keto, paleo
Leave a Reply