Each weekend, I make some type of salad concoction so I have ready-to-go greens in my fridge. Today's Orange Pecan Kale Salad with Citrus Tahini Dressing recipe is a new staple! Using hardy kale and winter citrus, this salad is perfect for cold weather months when other fresh greens are too expensive or hard to find.
Lately, I make a definitive effort to consume more veggies (including starchy, carb-rich veggies). Before going grocery shopping, I plan out the week's dinners, but my thought process usually revolves around protein. So I always end up with protein on hand, but I quickly run out of vegetables, which isn't cool when you're eating for overall health.
That's where big, easy salads like this come in. I can eat a portion of this flavorful salad with every meal to make sure I'm eating a good portion of nutrient-dense leafy greens. Yay!
And in a pinch, it's easy to make a salad like this into a full meal. Case in point:
I usually prep chicken on the weekends, too. Lunch is stupid easy when all I've got to do is add leftover shredded chicken to my already awesome salad. Oh, and did I mention it's totes Whole30-friendly? Heck. Yes.
Easily my favorite part of this recipe is the dressing. I love tahini, and it makes for an interesting dressing every time. The orange and tahini combo just works well together!
In the end, I knew I couldn't keep this salad to myself. I enjoyed it so much...it just makes sense to share the recipe. If you're struggling with salads, convinced that they're too boring, trust me when I say you just haven't found the right salad. I used to hate salads too (unless they were doused in so much dressing you could practically call them a soup). But after a while, tastebuds change, you grow older and wiser, and you realize that salads don't have to be boring greens with dressing. Try out different toppings. Try out different greens. See how fun you can make it. Eventually you'll find your kind of salad. I swear!
More paleo salad recipes
- Chopped Spinach Salad with SunButter Vinaigrette (W30)
- Warm Kale, Apple, and Sweet Potato Salad (W30)
- Watermelon Arugula Salad with Honey Chili Lime Dressing
- Warm Winter Kale and Delicata Squash Salad
- Mediterranean Cauliflower Salad (W30)
Orange Pecan Kale Salad with Citrus Tahini DressingPrint
For the Orange Pecan Kale Salad:
- 1 large bunch kale (about 5 cups after you chop it up)
- 1 orange
- ½ cup chopped pecans, toasted if desired
- ¼ cup sugar-free raisins
- 1 cup leftover chicken breast, shredded or cubed (optional)
For the Citrus Tahini Dressing:
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Wash the kale and pat dry. Remove the tough stems, then roll up the leaves and chop. Add kale to a large bowl. Add about half the dressing and stir the kale to coat.
- Cut the ends off of the orange so it will sit flat. Cut the outer peel away so you’re left with only the flesh of the orange. Cut into ½ inch thick slices. Add the orange slices, pecans, raisins, and chicken breast (if using) to the kale and toss. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Dig in!
- Serving Size: 2 cups
Keywords: Orange Pecan Kale Salad with Citrus Tahini Dressing