Make a drool-worthly casserole with just a handful of ingredients!
This simple carrot and sweet potato casserole is Whole30, paleo, dairy free, and (optionally) nut free, making a perfect side dish for any holiday gathering.
A simpler take on sweet potato casserole
Carrots and sweet potatoes add a touch of sweetness to this casserole recipe — no need for added sweeteners!
Roasting the carrots and sweet potatoes together saves time and dishes. Plus, roasted carrots release even more lightly caramelized flavor, making this simple casserole recipe a must-make for holiday gatherings or fuss-free meal prep.
You can top this carrot and sweet potato casserole with candied pecans, toasted pecans, parsley, or nothing at all. It's all up to you!
Can I prep this in advance?
Sure can! Just follow the instructions through step 5. After processing both the carrots and sweet potatoes and mixing them together, just refrigerate until about an hour before servings.
While the oven preheats, spoon the mixture into the casserole dish(es). Then just add 10 minutes to the bake time to ensure the casserole isn't cold in the middle.
Does this casserole keep in the fridge?
This easy casserole recipe keeps well in the fridge, so it makes great leftovers. But if you're serving it at a holiday gathering or dinner party, I woulnd't expect to have much left over!
It'll keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Love casseroles? Try these!
- Bacon-Topped Dairy Free Green Bean Casserole
- Bacon Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Spaghetti Squash & Meatball Casserole
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Sausage, Egg, & Hashbrown Casserole
Want to know the secret to side dishes your guests ooh and ahh over? What you serve 'em in. Find my favorite serving dishes in my collection on Food52.
Did you try this recipe? I'd love to hear what you think! Comment below or tag me on Instagram.Print
Top this simple carrot and sweet potato casserole with pecans, parlsey, or a drizzle of coconut milk. This recipe feeds a crowd and makes great leftovers!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Place sweet potatoes and carrots on the baking sheet. Bake for 40 minutes. Check to see if the carrots are cooked through; if they are, remove them from the baking sheet and continue baking the sweet potatoes for another 20 minutes, until fully cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Once sweet potatoes have cooled a bit, peel off and discard the skin.
- Add carrots and ghee to a food processor and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl. No need to clean out the food processor, as you’ll be using it again.
- Add the sweet potato flesh to the food processor along with coconut milk, lemon zest, salt, nutmeg, and black pepper. Process until smooth. Add to the bowl that the carrot mixture is in and stir with a spatula until fully mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into a casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with pecans. Return to the oven for another 10 minutes. Serve warm!
Keywords: carrot and sweet potato, casserole, whole30