Your summer potlucks just got an upgrade thanks to this Mediterranean Cauliflower Salad!
Tender steamed cauliflower serves as a solid base, with roasted bell peppers, olives, red onion, parsley, and a simple dressing to create unmistakable Mediterranean flavor and color. Serve this hearty paleo and Whole30 salad at your next get-together for mega compliments.
Mediterranean Cauliflower Salad is the perfect potluck salad
I've been more and more eager to create entertaining-friendly salads... Preferably salads that don't necessarily involve lettuce. Veggie-licious side dishes that are your best bets for potlucks and get togethers.
I think this Mediterranean Cauliflower Salad hits the mark perfectly.
Why? Well, a double batch of this salad will feed a sizeable crowd. And it can hang out on a picnic table all day and essentially marinate more—meaning it's not going to get soggy and questionable like lettuce would.
Ingredients needed for this simple cauliflower salad
— Cauliflower: Of course! You'll use a full head of cauliflower for this recipe. You'll steam the cauliflower (freeing the oven up for the bell peppers), but if you want you can roast the cauliflower for a nuttier flavor.
— Red bell pepper: Roasted red bell peppers add color and a wonderfully caramelized flavor to this salad.
— Red onion: Thinly sliced, they add a bit of crunch and zing to this recipe!
— Green olives: I love adding a little salty brine to the mix! Plus, green olives with red bell pepper and red onion add the Mediterranean flair to this recipe.
— Parsley: Lots of color added with fresh parsley. And did you know parsley is, like, REALLY good for you? It's one of my favorite summertime additions to meals simply for the nutritional punch!
Lastly, the dressing is a simple blend of lemon juice, red wine vinegar, and olive oil. With so much flavor already in the veggies of the cauliflower salad, a simple dressing goes a long way!
Variations for this recipe
If you've made it already, try some of these ideas for putting a fresh spin on this recipe!
Add different herbs. I'd recommend add a teaspoon of fresh minced oregano or fresh cilantro to the dressing and adjust to taste from there!
Use differently-color bell peppers to alter the visual appeal — but still roast them the same way.
Swap the red wine vinegar for an extra tablespoon of lemon juice or 1 tablespoon orange juice for a more citrusy flavor.
Use marinated green olives for more flavor variety.
Roast the cauliflower instead of steaming it. Toss with a little olive oil and roast in a 400 degree oven for about 25 minutes, stirring halfway through. Roasted cauliflower gains a slighly caramelized flavor, resulting in a "nutty" flavor for this salad!
More Summery Salads to Try
- Tomato and Cucumber Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette
- Mediterranean Watermelon Salad
- Grilled Peach & Walnut Salad with Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
- Thai Cabbage Salad with Sunbutter Dressing
- Bacon, Spinach, and Red Onion Salad
Mediterranean Cauliflower Salad
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: steam, broil
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Your summer potlucks just got an upgrade thanks to this paleo & Whole30 Mediterranean Cauliflower Salad! Tender steamed cauliflower serves as a solid base, with roasted bell peppers, olives, red onion, parsley, and a simple dressing to create unmistakable Mediterranean flavor and color.
- 1 large head of cauliflower, trimmed & cut into florets
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ½ cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup coarsely chopped green olives
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- Set a steamer basket in a large saucepan. Fill the pan with water up to (but not touching) the bottom of the basket. Bring water to a boil over high heat. Add the cauliflower florets and cover. Steam for 5 to 8 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, prep the bell peppers. Halve the bell peppers and remove the seeds. Set the oven to broil on high. Place each bell pepper cut side down on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Broil for 5-10 minutes, until tender and skin has blackened in spots. Remove from oven and transfer to a bowl. Cover the bowl with a dish towel and let cool for 5 minutes. Remove the skin (it should slide off fairly easily). Slice into strips.
- Transfer cauliflower to a large bowl. Add roasted bell peppers, red onion, parsley, chopped olives, and crushed red pepper. Toss to combine.
- Whisk together extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, black pepper, and salt. Pour dressing over vegetables and toss gently.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour. If serving cold, refrigerate up to 4 hours.
Keywords: Mediterranean Cauliflower Salad, cauliflower bell pepper salad, cauliflower salad
Leave a Reply