Baked walleye with chimichurri is an instant classic! Tender, neutrally-flavored walleye gets a big flavor boost from vibrant chimichurri.
This recipe is ready in just 25 minutes! And it's Whole30, gluten free, paleo, low carb, and keto.
What's in this baked walleye recipe
The title of the recipe basically gives this away. In an effort to keep the recipe as easy as possible, it's as simple as walleye and chimichurri.
You'll bake the walleye simply, with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Meanwhile, you'll whip up a chimichurri sauce to top the walleye with when you serve it.
Chimichurri has a TON of flavor, so it adds brightness and zing to the walleye. It's definitely the perfect accompaniament for relatively mild walleye!
How long to bake walleye
Walleye doesn't need to cook for too long before it's tender and flakes easily with a fork.
For this recipe, bake the walleye for 20 minutes at 375 degrees F. If it's not quite done, bake for an additional 5 minutes before checking again.
How to make chimichurri sauce
Chimichurri is by far one of my favorite ways to add FLAVOR and zing to a dish, especially in the summer!
It's so easy to make and it goes with just about any type of meat. This sauce is nothing more than a mixture of fresh parsley, fresh cilantro, garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, and crushed red pepper.
Some chimichurri recipes call for using a food processor to chop up the parsley and cilantro, but I prefer to chop everything by hand. That's because (1) I prefer the texture of finely chopped parsley/cilantro rather than pulverized herbs and (2) I hate washing out my food processor.
But you do you — you can absolutely use a food processor if you find that easier!
More fish and seafood recipes to try
- Salmon Cake Eggs Benedict
- Walleye Fish Tacos with Radish Slaw
- Grilled Walleye with Mango Salsa
- Stuffed Salmon (Two Ways)
- Grilled Fish with Fried Plantains (Aloco)
Did you try this recipe? I'd love to hear what you think! Comment below or tag me on Instagram.Print
Baked walleye gets a huge bump of flavor from zesty chimichurri! This meal is fast and oh so delicious.
For the Walleye:
- 1 12-16oz walleye filet
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
For the Chimichurri:
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- First, prep the chimichurri. Finely mince the cilantro, parsley, and garlic cloves. Add them to a bowl. Add the salt, red pepper flakes, and red wine vinegar. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking to emulsify. Set aside while you prep the rest.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay the walleye out on the baking sheet, then drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, until the fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork.
- Slice walleye into individual portions and serve with chimichurri.
Keywords: baked walleye, chimichurri, gluten free, low carb