This Paleo Chocolate SunButter Mug Cakes recipe and the accompanying post are sponsored by SunButter®! All opinions and experiences are my own — and I am fortunate to be able to work with brands I love!
Rich and dense, these paleo chocolate SunButter mug cakes use only 6 ingredients and cook for 1 minute before they're ready to dive into.
But that's not all! These chocolate mug cakes are low carb, gluten free, and can easily be made keto with a simple sweetener swap.
How to make flourless mug cakes
Want to know one of the amazing things about these paleo chocolate mug cake brownies? They're completely flourless!
Turns out that nut or seed butter + egg, when microwaved, makes a magically fluffy and simple mug cake.
Of course, you need a few more ingredients than that to make epic chocolatey goodness. A little coconut oil, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and maple syrup make a simple, easy brownie-like treat for two.
To make these flourless SunButter mug cakes, start with a little coconut milk and chocolate chips. Melt these in the microwave first. Then add the SunButter and egg, stirring until smooth. Finally, add the rest and mix it up. 1 more minute in the microwave and we're good to go!
Choosing chocolate chips for this recipe
I want to tackle the elephant in the room — chocolate chips.
For pretty much all of my recipes, I use Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips. They're soy free, gluten free, nut free, dairy free... but they DO have cane sugar, which technically makes them not paleo.
But, I'm definitely more of a "paleo lifestyle", not "paleo strictly" kind of person, so when I make treats like these chocolate mug cakes, the tiny bit of sugar in the chocolate chips is not a deal breaker for me.
However, if you're rockin' keto or prefer to be more strict paleo or have your own reasons for wanting to skip cane sugar, you've got a few additional options.
- Alternate chocolate chip brands like Lily's chocolate chips (stevia sweetened) or Pascha unsweetened 100% chocolate chips
- Make your own chocolate chips using a recipe like this
- Skip the chocolate chips altogether — not recommended, but you can do it!
How to adjust chocolate SunButter mug cakes for keto
Now I'm no keto pro (but hey, if it works for you, more power to ya!), but from what I understand ketoans don't eat sweeteners like honey or maple syrup.
So, as a substitute for the tablespoon of maple syrup in this recipe, you can use liquid stevia or liquid monkfruit. NOT a one to one substitute! A drop or two of either stevia or monkfruit should do it.
The other substitution to make: chocolate chips. But we covered that above, so scroll on up!
The simple answer to this question? SunButter's awesome.
I'm a lucky, lucky human to get to work with brands I already love, and Sunbutter is one of 'em! This company is based in Fargo (where I live!) and they've been the leader in a nut free alternative to peanut butter for years.
And while SunButter is most widely known as a peanut butter alternative, it goes beyond that. I hear from a lot of people who have tree nut allergies and are always on the hunt for alternatives to almond butter — again, SunButter makes an awesome choice!
Because SunButter's sponsoring this post, I've got a special goodie for you: a print-at-home coupon good for $1 off any SunButter product!
More SunButter recipes
- SunButter and Jelly Mug Cakes
- Gluten Free SunButter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chopped Spinach Salad with SunButter Vinaigrette
- Thai Sweet Potato Noodle Bowls with SunButter Dressing
- SunButter Sweet Potato Brownies
Paleo Chocolate SunButter Mug Cakes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 minute
- Total Time: 6 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Microwaved
- Cuisine: American
Simple and flourless, these paleo chocolate SunButter Mug Cakes make an easy dessert for two. They're gluten free and nut free!
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon gluten free and dairy free chocolate chips, divided
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup organic SunButter
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon real maple syrup
- Add coconut oil and 1 teaspoon chocolate chips to a mug. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir, microwaving again if the chocolate chips haven’t melted. Add SunButter and stir until completely smooth. Stir in egg, cocoa powder, and maple syrup. Finally, stir in remaining chocolate chips.
- Divide batter between two small mugs. Microwave both mugs at once for 1 minute. Garnish with strawberries and coconut whipped cream, if desired.
To make this recipe keto, use unsweetened or stevia-sweetened chocolate chips. Swap out the maple syrup for a couple drops of liquid stevia or monk fruit extract.
Keywords: chocolate Sunbutter mug cakes
Jack William says
Tastes very good. My family loved it. Will definitely make it again.
Thanks, Jack! Much appreciated.