Keep dinnertime simple with a Lemon Pepper Chicken and Broccoli Skillet that uses only a handful of ingredients and only one pan. Dinner will be delicious and clean up will be a breeze!
Ingredients you’ll need for this lemon pepper chicken & broccoli skillet
I wanted to keep things pretty simple for this recipe, so the most complicated thing is the sauce! At any rate, here are the ingredients you’ll need to grab before starting dinner:
- extra virgin olive oil
- garlic cloves
- cracked black pepper
- sea salt
- chicken thighs
Yes, that’s how simple it is! At the end of the day, this recipe is all about the method, starting the browning on the stove and moving to the oven to roast.
Keys to making a one skillet recipe
Make sure your skillet can go from the stovetop to the oven
For this lemon pepper chicken and broccoli one skillet recipe, you’ll transfer from the stovetop to the oven to finish off the cooking. Make sure your skillet can withstand the heat (pun intended)! Sometimes, handles of cheaper skillets are not made of an oven-friendly material.
I always use a cast iron skillet for these types of recipes — and, really, most of the cooking I do in general. A properly seasoned cast iron pan will last you for many, many, many years.
Don’t use too small of a skillet
In addition to using the right materials, make sure your skillet is big enough. After all, you’re using this skillet to make your entire meal! Four chicken thighs and a chopped head of broccoli is quite a bit of food.
You’ll want to go big, so you aren’t overcrowding the pan once everything’s in it. I’d highly recommend a 12″ or larger skillet.
More skillet recipes to bookmark for later:
- Perfect Crispy Skillet Chicken Thighs
- One Skillet Lemon Rosemary Chicken and Potatoes
- Easy Whole30 Skillet Steak Fajitas
- Quick Thai Red Curry Beef Tenderloin Skillet
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear what you think! Comment below or tag me on Instagram.Print
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 bunch broccoli, chopped into florets
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine 3 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, capers, sliced lemon, smashed garlic cloves, salt, and black pepper. Whisk until combined and set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with additional salt and pepper and add to skillet, skin sides down. Cook for 10 minutes, until chicken is browned and skin is crispy. Flip the chicken using kitchen tongs. Add the broccoli to the skillet and toss around to coat the pieces in fat, being careful not to cover the chicken. Pour the lemon mixture over the chicken and broccoli.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and juices run clear. Serve the chicken with broccoli and pan sauce.