Everyone likes a good skillet meal, right? Simple and fast recipes like this Creamy Skillet Chicken with Green Beans and Mushrooms prove that meals made in a cast iron skillet just taste better.
I guess that's a matter of opinion, but if you're here you must think there's something to it!
This creamy chicken skillet recipe leans on blanched green beans and fresh cremini mushrooms to round this out to a nourishing meal.
Best yet, this cast iron recipe is gluten free, dairy free, keto, paleo, and Whole30!
Let's make creamy skillet chicken with green beans!
While originally, I wanted to build this recipe to be a one skillet recipe, I truly believe this meal should start with blanching the green beans. That requires a pot instead of a skillet — so I couldn't cram it all in to one skillet!
Below, I've written up what blanching is, why it works, and how to do it — but for the best end result, remember to blanch your beans!
Next, prepare the chicken by pounding it to an even thickness. Again, this might sound like a step you can skip. But I like to do this for skillet chicken recipes because it ensures even cooking AND the chicken tends to cook more quickly. A little prep work pays off!
Heat olive oil over medium-high heat, and add the chicken. Cook for 5-6 minutes on each side, then remove the chicken from the skillet.
Add a little more olive oil to the same skillet, followed by the mushrooms and thyme. Then you'll add the cassava flour and stir to coat the mushrooms. Next, slowly pour in the coconut milk and broth, stirring constantly and letting the cassava flour thicken the sauce.
Toss in the green beans and lemon slices and simmer for a few minutes. Finally, add the chicken back to the skillet and simmer until the beans are crisp-tender.
There you have it. We're talking less than 30 minutes cook time total for a skillet swimming with deliciousness!
The better way to cook green beans
For this recipe, you'll start off by blanching the green beans.
If you're in a time crunch, you can skip that part of the recipe — but it's not recommended. Blanching the green beans is the pro way to cook 'em!
What is blanching?
Blanching is a way to partially cook vegetables, starting to soften the cell walls while stopping enzymatic processes that break down color and flavor. You'll definitely notice that blanching green beans preserves their bright green color throughout cooking — notice how vibrant they are in the photos!
To blanch green beans, you'll boil a pot of salted water. Boil the green beans for just a minute or two before draining. Then plunge them into ice water for a few minutes and drain again.
Ready to go for the recipe!
Want to try more skillet recipes?
- One Skillet Lemon Rosemary Chicken and Potatoes
- Easy Whole30 Skillet Steak Fajitas
- Skillet Pizza Chicken
- One-Skillet Chicken with Mushrooms & Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Shrimp, Sausage, and Caulirice Skillet
Did you try this recipe? I'd love to hear what you think! Comment below or tag me on Instagram.Print
This quick Skillet Chicken with Green Beans and Mushroom Sauce cooks up in just 30 minutes! With fresh veggies and lots of flavor, it's a great weeknight Whole30 & keto meal.
- 1 pound fresh thin green beans
- 3 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced (~ 1 ½ cups)
- 2 tablespoons cassava flour
- ¼ cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 ¾ cups chicken broth
- 1 lemon, sliced into 8 very thin slices
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Fill a medium pot ¾ full with water and add a generous pinch of sea salt. Bring the water to boil over medium heat. Add the green beans, cooking for 2 minutes before immediately draining and plunging into ice water to blanch the beans. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. While the skillet is heating, lay the chicken breasts out on a cutting board and use a meat pounder to pound to a uniform thickness. This ensures even cooking! Season chicken with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add the chicken to the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side, until cooked through. Remove chicken from the pan.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the onion, sauteing for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned and softened. Add the thyme and mushrooms, cooking for an additional 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cassava flour to the pan, stirring to coat the vegetables until no dry flour remains. Slowly pour in coconut milk and chicken broth, stirring constantly to prevent clumping. Add the lemon slices and green beans, stirring to incorporate. Simmer for 1-2 minutes, until the sauce has slightly thickened. Add the chicken back to the pan and simmer for another 3 minutes or until the beans are crisp-tender. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve.
If you prefer a thicker sauce, increase the cassava flour to 3 tablespoons.
Keywords: skillet chicken with green beans, skillet chicken, green beans, mushrooms, paleo, keto, low carb, Whole30, gluten free